Friday, January 2, 2009

If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.

I suppose that if we do completely destroy the planet Earth, it will be because it is supposed to happen.

If the bombs drop, and everywhere there is a holocaust of living things, then there will probably still be some people living underground. My theory is that they will have a guitar down there. They will probably play the blues.

If we lose our sight, if it atrophies due to a lack of sunlight--a necessity to avoid the fallout--then we will learn to hear and smell and certainly feel a lot better.

It is my theory that the world will go in cycles. Eventually, some person will be crazy enough to shoot it all the rest of the way to hell. But then, life will find a way again. We will have bizarre, deformed plants. Cockroaches, devoid of natural predators, will evolve into strange new beings. Maybe most importantly, humans will probably not have access to electricity in their underground hideouts.

When they finally do emerge, it will be unto a completely new world.

Inevitably, however, they will feel the need to discover. They will feel the need to find out all the actions that they could possibly do to anything. Those that they find to be useful, they will use.

Working together, and with roach-dogs as pets, people may even re-invent the nuclear missile.



Whatever the process actually is, it will really be a beautiful ride. What if humanity moves off of the Earth? What if there are tiny colonies which all subsist on snakes and grass?



I am a believer that whatever happens will be what is supposed to happen. I believe in that.

This is why I don't become terrified at the thought of bizarre killing machines, Fat Men and Little Boys. Humans can do whatever beautiful, stupid things they like. Death is not such a horrific thing. We are programmed to avoid it, because if we were not, we would all just die. But it is not a cause for the terrible alarm it raises, not in the least. When I die, it will be precisely when it was supposed to happen. I will be content, because I will know that I have always done the best that I could to be and to do the best that I could. I can imagine no better life than that.

I have been reading some more Vonnegut.

I have been doing some more writing.

Good night.

No comments: