Saturday, May 31, 2008

Avillia

Ally left another crash and a ride at my house after last rehearsal, so today I was like a kid in a candy store. Damn, drums are fun. I'm getting fairly legitimate at it, too--I can pull off most relatively simple (though not braindead simple) things solidly, but when it gets fast I get increasingly shaky. That, I imagine, will come with time. In the meantime, it's a damn lot of fun.

Revisited some Zoot Sims today in the car. Really solid sax man, with a really mellow tone. One of the less-appreciated of the great jazzmen. Dig him, if you haven't yet.

Also, rediscovered some of the Monk Quartet recordings they put up on the Youtubes. There is some wicked good stuff in there. Rouse is nuts, and is similarly underappreciated on the saxophone. See! This.

Feels good seeing the people I've been missing from back home. Cory, my cousin (a month younger than I am, and like a brother to me) is coming down on Thursday, which will kick some ass. Writing lots of music, several possibilities for jobs. It's working out.

Yeah.

No comments: