Friday, April 11, 2008

Be my... Capri Sun?

I used to think Electric Six had hit their prime early with the album Fire. Having given all the others an extensive listen by now, though, I've worked out that Fire was a far less mature band. They had crazy energy of course, stemming from the sexually charged lyrics, Dick Valentine's ridiculous voice and the sheer loudness and groove of the music; but in their later music, when they graduated from pure sexuality to general strangeness and some sexuality, they got a lot more musically sophisticated--and it's really more enjoyable to listen to for a long time. I can put on Senor Smoke on repeat for three hours and still be diggin' it.

As predicted, Spoon kicked my ass all over the place. If they ever come anywhere near you I highly, highly recommend that you go. It's usually pretty cheap, but they're one of the better live bands around. They sound pretty chill on their albums... but really... no. No, they stomp some ass when you see 'em at what they do, though not in the traditional "we gon' play some loud guitar and hit some cymbals, FUCK YEAH" type of way. They're not really a guitar band per se, but occasionally Britt Daniels will get down for a minute to fuck with his pedals, then stand up, and take the most ridiculous 16 bars of noise solo you've ever heard. Ohhh. Also, if I haven't already said so, I can't recommend their latest album enough. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga is the type of album where you turn on the first track and go "Yeah, I love this one!" but, then it ends and the next one begins... and you do the same thing. For every single one. They're all very distinct sounding works, but they all could be singles and do well. Every song is great. Seriously.

Also... I am not much of one for webcomics--despite having and maintaining a blog as I now do, I am not that much of an internets type--but, lately two particular ninja-themed ones have been quite good, and I would like to point you to them. Here they are:

White Ninja
Dr. McNinja

Enjoy. I'ma go eat yet more NYU dining, because I can't afford shit else.

No comments: