Monday, April 28, 2008

Don't you hear them falling?

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but regardless, it bears repeating.

Led Zeppelin's "Since I've Been Loving You" is, in my opinion, the absolute most perfect sound representation of sorrow ever created. It is possibly my favorite song of all time (gives the Beatles' "Because" a run for its money). You just cannot pack more raw emotion into sound than they do here. Bonham's pounding beat just drags and drags you down further as JPJ's organ lines whirl around in this insanely heart-wrenching torrent of blues. And of course, there is Page's solo in the middle, which is probably the single most emotionally affecting use of the electric guitar ever. It can't really be fully described, so please just go listen to it (not the shitty quality ones on youtube; find a real copy); turn the bass up so you can hear the heaviest bass lines ever written, and just let it wash over you.

I can't listen to that song all the way through without coming fairly close to tears at several points. God damn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That song is uber emotional. I lose it when I hear it too. Speaking of involuntary musical responses, its hard for me to listen to "Paranoid Android" and not almost convulse when there's that awesome guitar slide and heavy riff that comes in about 2/3 in. I fucking lose my shit. But yeah, Jimmy Page on "Since" is like why the guitar was invented and why he was born to play it.

This is Kegan, I can't post it from my account apparently.